Find out how to protection yourself against scams.
Occasionally, WCEC members report falling prey to scams by people falsely posing as cooperative employees. Here are some guidelines you can use to protect yourself.
What WCEC Does
- We will occasionally make courtesy calls to members regarding their accounts. These calls direct recipients to our secure payment line.
- Our employees work in the field to collect payments at residential and commercial locations. Please verify WCEC employees by photo identification badges They will travel in company vehicles and wear WCEC uniform shirts.
What We Never Do
- Call to threaten a service disconnection if payment is not made immediately.
- Ask you to pay with a prepaid card.
- Call from an out-of-state number.
- Instruct you not to call any other WCEC number to make payment.
- Threaten a service disconnection on holidays or weekends.
- Try to sell you products or services by phone or door-to-door, including solar panels, energy audits, “important energy-saving initiatives” or more.
What You Can Do
- If you are contacted by someone claiming to be a WCEC employee, verify it by contacting us at 979-543-6271 or toll-free at 800-460-6271, the phone number printed on your bill. Spanish-speaking representatives are available Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- If you receive a suspicious call, please attempt to take note of as much as you can about the scam attempt, then hang up and contact your local law enforcement agency to file a report. We also encourage members to then contact us with any information about the scam so that we can inform our members and the public.
- If you are approached by someone claiming to work for WCEC, ask to see identification or call our office to verify their identity.